Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Find Your Center At The Edge

When I was a freshman in High School, my older brother left a book by Charles Bukowski laying around. When I picked it up, I was enthralled.  If was filled with debauchery, sex, booze and screwing - a cornucopia of free verse to quench my teen angst.  This was someone who was truly living on the edge, a destination that every teenager I knew was shooting for.  I fell in love with that dirty old man.  It's been a long time since I read anything by Bukowski, but now I find myself  awarded with the opportunity of reigniting my love affair with the legend.  The Huntington Library is having an exhibition on the life and works of Bukowski (October 9th - February 14th), drawn from the archive of his papers donated to The Huntington by his widow.  This will include first additions of his works, original drawings by the man himself, correspondence and fan mail, etc.  Bukowski, to this day, remains a favorite amongst younger readers because he understood, just like my teenage self understood "the place to find the center is at the edge."
For old time's sake.......Meet you there?  

No comments:

Post a Comment